Dwelling Daughter

Dwelling Daughter

July 18, 2013

Missing My Daddy

This past week and a half have been very busy. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the moment and forget about all that has happened. But  it's those slow, quiet nights that remind me that my daddy is no longer on this earth. Jonathan and I had a moment like that Tuesday night.
We were about to go to bed and I said: "Can I ask you a question, Buddy?"
Jonathan: "Sure."
Me: "What was your favorite thing about Daddy?"
He sat there for a minute and tears started to well up in his eyes and his lip poked out a little. So I said: "It can be something funny."
Jonathan: "I was hoping I could say something serious."
Me: "Ok, you can say something serious."
Jonathan, with his voice cracking: "Daddy was kind, and he loved Jesus, and he loved his family."
I sat there for a minute, and realized how much he meant what he had just said. Jonathan wasn't just saying some nice words, this was what he loved about his daddy.
Then I remembered something crazy Dad used to do, and I told Jonathan. "Do you know what Daddy used to do after I spent a long time fixing my hair? He would walk in and rub my head (like he did when I was little) and I would shout 'Daddy! I just fixed my hair. Stop it!'" Jonathan giggled and laughed and together we remembered.
I've had a lot of thoughts and feelings since that Tuesday. Anger, confusion, loneliness, hurt. I'm angry because I do not understand how God could do this. Kind of like an infant. Parents give things to their baby and take from them because they know what is best. Often times, the baby will cry because they do not understand. They kick and scream and as they grow up, they understand. That's how I feel. I know God has a purpose for this, and I love Him as before, I just don't understand. And that's okay for now. I'm confused because I'm not sure what happens next, but I do know that God does. I'm lonely and hurt because sometimes I look over and expect Dad to be there. Sitting in his chair, laughing the loudest of all, wrestling with his Boy. I have those moments very often, and I kind of like them because for a moment, everything feels back to normal.
But normal isn't what God intended. We are created to glorify God and enjoy His creation. My dad glorified God with his life, and in his death. And now he is in heaven rejoicing in his Creator. It doesn't get any better! I can't wait to join both of my Dads one day!
Jonathan cannot understand all of that right now, but this is what I told him at the end of our conversation: "Buddy, do you know who loved Daddy more than we did? God. And He loved Daddy so very much that God couldn't stand to be away from him another day." It was time for Michael Whitt to go home to his heavenly Father.

3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, 27 nearly 28 years ago, my preacher husband died and my children were 13 and 15. The things you said in your blog reminds me so much of all the feelings that my children went through. I feel so bad for your mom because she not only lost her husband but she has lost her position in the church. She is no longer the "preacher's wife." She is just a member of the church just like all the others. My heart aches for you and your brother because the loss you feel is awful. You said some things that show your maturity. God does have a plan for all of us and the suffering that we go through on this earth, only makes the thought of Heaven more dear. May God bless you and your family in the coming days, months and years. It will take a long time for the hurt you feel to go away but it will in time. A person couldn't stand to live with that kind of hurt forever. The memories that you talk about and remember will last your whole life. We don't know why things like this happen but like you said in your blog, "It is part of God's plan." My love to you and your family. Libby Fox (your Aunt Joan and Uncle Mike used to attend church where my husband, Jackie Fox, preached.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY DADDY LEFT US ON FEB.26,2013 AND IT HAS TOOK A TOLL ON OUR FAMILY BECAUSE HE WAS THE ROCK OF OUR FAMILY. EVERYONE SAYS IT GETS EASIER, IT DOESNT, BUT WE ARE LEARNING TO LIVE WITHOUT HIM. AS TIME PASSES THE COMFORT OF KNOWING MY DADDY LOVED JESUS AND WAS READY TO GO GIVES ME THE PEACE I NEED TO GO ON, NOT FORGETTING THE VALUES MY DADDY TAUGHT ME BUT BY LIVING THE LIFE HE KNEW I COULD LIVE THROUGH CHRIST.

    ReplyDelete