Dwelling Daughter

Dwelling Daughter

August 03, 2013

More Than My Creator


When some people think of God, they imagine an all powerful being in the sky too busy with major world issues to consider us. I know this to be 100% false, and my life is a testimony to that.
When I was 8, we had just moved to a new city, and I really wanted a best friend. I made a list of qualities she should have and prayed that I might meet her soon. With the faith of a child, I prayed for her almost everyday for 4 years. I became good friends with a few people off and on, but they never met my expectations. I wanted a someone who was completely loyal, truthful, godly, and one I could tell anything to. I trusted a very few people with this high expectations, and they always fell very short.
When I was 10, I was in the middle of church singing, and suddenly I heard God say, "I am your best friend." That spoke volumes to me. He was all I needed, all I would ever need. He met me where I was, I didn't have to be a great theologian to hear from God or a powerful leader.
Nevertheless, I fought God between wanting a friend just my age, and depending on Him. I discovered that when I began to depend on close friends to fill in the part of my best friend, I was expecting them to be perfect. The perfectly loyal, trustworthy, godly friend. And guess what? Only God is all that! I was wanting them to be God!
Since that time, God has blessed me with some of the best friends on planet earth. I quit lining up the perfect friend my age, and realized my mom, my sisters, the girl I babysit, friends from school, from youth group, they are my closest friends! They each bless me and encourage me in different ways! The difficult part is balancing between enjoying these friends, and expecting them to be God. But, as long as I look to Him the most, He keeps me on track.
The closer I am to God, the easier it is to hear Him speak. Six months ago, God brought me to my knees, and I had no idea why. Before I could sleep, I HAD to read the Bible. And as I read, He laid on my heart that something was coming. A storm like never before, that would test all I had ever laid a foundation on. The verse that was laid on my heart was: "I will never leave you nor forsake you." I got on my knees and begged God to keep that promise. I truly didn't know why; life was great. Still, I felt the urge to pray like never before.
Now, I get why. I understand why He had me pray that way. God was preparing me for something I had never dared imagine. And through that time, He gave me strength for that day, and everyday since then.
"Praise God from whom all blessings flow!"

PS! I've noticed that the majority of people who have read this, I have never even met. Thus, I don't know where your relationship with God is, but if you have a question, please message me. Whether it's about my story, God, or spiritual things, ask away! I can't pretend I have all the answer, but I am best friends with the God who does!

No comments:

Post a Comment