Dwelling Daughter

Dwelling Daughter

August 17, 2013

The Proudest Moment: Washing Feet

My Daddy was an amazing man, and I had many obvious reasons to be proud of him. But I can remember one moment in particular that my heart nearly burst with joy over his example.
I believe it was a Saturday morning in January 2012 and it was time to clean out the shed and freezer room. (Blah!) First, Dad decided we would start with the freezer room where we store little bit of everything. First we had to get everything out, sort through it, then put the needed stuff back. Mom was running back and forth between cleaning and house work. And somehow or another, she and dad had a little tiff. I can't remember what it was about but dad was frustrated and stressed and mom got exasperated and went away to cool off before feelings got hurt.
That night, Dad called us all together before we went to bed because he had something to say. He turned to mom and apologized to her for getting frustrated, then turned to us and apologized for arguing in front of us. I have never seen my daddy be more of a man than in that moment. Letting go of his pride and coming before his family willing to admit he was wrong.
No one likes to admit when they are wrong, let alone apologize. And I will certainly agree that it is not easy. Somehow, apologizing makes us feel weaker, because we realize that we are not perfect and that hurts our pride. God, however, did not call us to be high and mighty. Instead, his son Jesus set the example of lowering himself and washing others' feet.
Who's feet has God called you to wash?

2 comments:

  1. Once again, Elizabeth, thank you for sharing your heart. I love seeing the footprints that your Dad put in your life that have laid the blueprints for your future. It is so hard to apologize sometimes. And sometimes, I even feel childish apologizing to my kids, but this post shows me that I am leaving impressions on their hearts. Thank you. Praying for you and your family right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, I enjoy your posts so much. You seem to have an understanding of spiritual matters that far surpasses your age to be able to do so. We are continuing to think of and pray for your family. I know your Mother is so proud of you and your Dad in heaven also.

    ReplyDelete